On the Matter of Registry Cleaners
Registry Cleaners: Useless software that can harm your system.
Registry Cleaners: Modern Snake Oil
- Registry cleaners can break your programs.
- Registry cleaners can break Windows.
- Registry cleaners often make wild claims about "errors" that do not exist.
- Registry cleaners can damage your security software leaving you unprotected.
When/Why do you need a registry cleaner?
- The most simple answer to this is: You DO NOT.
- The Windows registry is self sufficient and "cleaning" it will not help.
Registry Cleaners Can Not Help With:
- Blue Screen Errors
- Replacement of missing or corrupt drivers
- Keeping your computer safe from malware
- Your computer's stability
- Your PC's performance
Click this link to see what a tech from Microsoft had to say about Registry Cleaners.
To keep your system stable you should:
Keep Windows and all other software updated.
Do not install freeware
such as weather tools, screensavers, smileys, and other "junk" software.
To keep your system fast you should:
Perform regular disk maintenance and keep the area around your PC clean.
Keep it free of dust, pet hair, and other contaminants so as to keep your PC cool.
Don't overload it:
Know your computer's specifications and do not try to
run too much at one time.
Have one antivirus product installed and running and do regular
checks with an online scanner. No single antivirus company can
Easy links to disk maintenance you can do for free:
- Disk Cleanup
- Error Check
- Disk Defragment
- Remember to use caution and common sense. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.